A little Chrystal

A little Chrystal
Love her!

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Something Inspired by Classtime

What are my beliefs, you ask?
I've got a list eternally long,
But the beauty of beliefs, my friend
Is that they're often magnificently wrong

We argue our beliefs as if
They're solid--cast in gold
But most of us go to the death
Believing what we're told...

Question my beliefs, you say?
I'll die the day I lay down to bed
without a doubt about my "knowledge"
Or my politics boomeranging within my head.

Your fathers and your mothers
Shove their bibles before our eyes--
I've chewed faith up--I've spit it out,
I count them all as spectacular lies.

I say, question your own beliefs
Or they will ruin you from within
To question your whole living,
friend, is to be born again and again.

I don't know, I think this one has some potential, but I don't think it's done yet. Any suggestions? When 'Hep' was talking about beliefs today in class, I was struck by his words "when beliefs are wrong, they're usually spectacularly wrong." Heavy words. They made me think, and when I think, I think in rhymes...so I spent the rest of the period admittedly in and out of the conversation, but more driven into playing with these words you see here, love 'em or hate 'em!

3 comments:

  1. My question for you stems from something Hep said: "I believe in objective reality, but I don't think I have it."

    From what you wrote, I'm assuming you're a relativist, which is to say that there is no objective reality. Is this genuinely what you believe? I am all for people testing what they believe, but is the point of testing belief simply to better yourself, or is testing your belief an attempt to better align yourself with the truth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOoooh, good question. In terms of divinity (or, I guess, lack there of) I think I question it everyday to bring myself closer to the truth. I often find myself contemplating whether or not there is an answer--what if when we die, that's it? No glorious afterlife, no heaven, no hell, no reincarnation, just nothingness. You're gone. But then, I question that: Where does the energy go when you shut off the lights? The energy jumps to the next source it can be used by, and never ceases to exist. When you turn the lights back on, it's there. The light is gone, but the T.V. suddenly gets a little bit brighter.

    On the same token, I think that testing and questioning your beliefs on all aspects also makes you a well rounded person. I am someone who prides herself on being able to argue any side of an argument to try to help someone see the other point of view. I get both sides. Every time. Whether I believe it or not, I can play the devil's advocate.

    So I guess to answer your question, I'm a little bit of both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striking the elusive balance is the key, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Name...That...Author!!!

Name...That...Author!!!
Hmm...mustache

dark and mysterious

To be...Or not to be...