A little Chrystal

A little Chrystal
Love her!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Truth Shall Set You Free



So...I haven't read out of our texts in about a week, but I have to say that I have read a SHIT load. That's right, I said shit. I read Anne "Essie Mae" Moody's Coming of Age in Mississippi this weekend, actually in less than 16 hours, and it was actually fantabulous. It really opened my eyes to the realities of living as a young poor black person in the 50s and 60s. Anne was the oldest of 9 kids, could hardly afford clothes to go to school (her segregated school) and couldn't wear shoes because the one pair she owned was strictly for school. She made great grades in school and actually tutored her white boss' children in math. Anne Moody went to college at a few different institutions and became a civil rights activist and participated in famous sit-ins and marches, including on Washington, where MLK Jr. gave his "I have a Dream" speech.
Anyways, great book--everyone needs to NEEDS TO read it.
Also, I've read The Castle of Otronto by Horace Walpole. That one...not as great. Pretty weird, and I don't think that someone would really gain too much intelligence from reading this, which is reportedly one of the first ever horror stories. A preview: The son of a king gets squished by a GIANT helmet...and then the monarchy falls into chaos. EH. Alright, but not too great.
But, I have been working on my new blog about "A Good Man is Hard to FInd." Check it out ladies and gents! My renderings are pretty sweet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Name...That...Author!!!

Name...That...Author!!!
Hmm...mustache

dark and mysterious

To be...Or not to be...